(Cont) Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1

trabob
Novice

Mar 27, 2005, 6:29 AM

Post #1 of 18 (126965 views)
Shortcut
(Cont) Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 Can't Post

I am starting a new post as above subject had to many non-tech posts in it

I still need help from somebody that knows how to make this thing work as intended.

I set up a test page so anybody can see what I am having a problem with as maybe I am not explaining my problem correctly at

http://www.trabob.com/test.html

it is not spam and no links to my site from there, I just need HELP.

I got the editor working by adding my full path to htmlarea as per someone in the other post

but it does not solve the problem of "saving/posting" to somewere/anywere or even at that page.

when I click the "submit" button it brings up the "test.cgi" with any information I added but it doesn't save/send it anywere. (I had to move the test.cgi from samples to the front of the directory before it would bring even that up)

It seems like the problem may be in the "form" part of the script, mine reads (from sample script)

<form action="test.cgi" method="post" id="edit" name="edit">

<textarea id="ta" name="ta" style="width:100%; height:300px;">

</textarea>

<p />

<input type="submit" name="ok" value=" submit " />
<input type="button" name="ins" value=" insert html " onclick="return insertHTML();" />
<input type="button" name="hil" value=" highlight text " onclick="return highlight();" />

<a href="javascript:mySubmit()">submit</a>

<script type="text/javascript">
function mySubmit() {
// document.edit.save.value = "yes";
document.edit.onsubmit(); // workaround browser bugs.
document.edit.submit();
};
</script>

</form>

Do I have to change something here??

I have been working on this for 2 weeks now and really need some help from someone that has got it running.

If I can get it working I will set up a page with instructions for other newbies so they wont have to go through this problem

Thanks

Trabob

seth
New User

Mar 27, 2005, 2:00 PM

Post #2 of 18 (126930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trabob] (Cont) Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

I am having the same problem i can get it to work but dont know how to get it to save

Seth (admin@comservices.ws)

ideffect
Novice

Mar 27, 2005, 5:30 PM

Post #3 of 18 (126916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trabob] (Cont) Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Trabob,

What is your goal with the editor? Let me see the code that it will be used for and I can advise you better.

I also just posted a message in the other post with more info (please read).

(This post was edited by ideffect on Mar 27, 2005, 5:48 PM)

trabob
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 5:51 AM

Post #4 of 18 (126901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ideffect] (Cont) Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ideffect
I think I answered this in the other thread, if not I am not sure what you asking, as I am not aware of any other code, I am trying to send an edited page to a html page(s) and to be able to call any page from my site that needs editing. I found one of these wysiwyg editors that covers my whole site (and is working) (its a stand alone program) but it does not allow me to limit clients to just their page(s) which could allow anyone to ruin my whole site (not just their page(s). Hope this answered this post??

Thanks

Bob

ideffect
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 10:01 AM

Post #5 of 18 (126893 views)
Shortcut

It sounds like you really need a content managment system with lots of extras. Have you looked at mambo? www.mamboserver.com

trabob
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 1:09 PM

Post #6 of 18 (126884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ideffect] (Cont) Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ideffect

You are so cool, thanksWink it sounds like what I (and maybe the others that don't have a content management system CMS or even know they may need one) need to get this thing working. I just downloaded it and was impressed with what I read in there. (I wonder why they did not mention you need something to run wysiwyg, they mentioned browsers, blah, blah, blah)

I will let you and the others know if it solves my problem (it says easy install, hahaha right!!!)

Oh, in case anyone is interested I ran accross a tutural on custom making a CMS at

http://www.intranetjournal.com/php-cms/

For now if I can get mambo working I'll be happySmile

Thanks again ideffect Cool

Trabob

trabob
Novice

Mar 30, 2005, 6:54 AM

Post #7 of 18 (126814 views)
Shortcut

Just a follow up to my last post. Lots of problems with "Mambo" install to. The 2 newsest versions download as an unkown file after unzipping them, so I ended up trying to install the 3rd oldest and it unzipped fine to known files, the documents link at there website doesn't work and their forum full of problem questions also. God can't anyone make something that works in a consumer friendly way, and I have looked at so many wysiwyg and CMS that my head is about to explode. So maybe I will need to learn more to design my own and looks like the best place to start is at that tutural I mentioned in last post. I really envy any of you that figured this whole thing out, and ideffect without you, I would not have had any idea what my problems are, so ThanksWink

If anyone knows of a CMS with html editor that works and easy to install even if I have to buy it, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Trabob

trabob
Novice

Apr 6, 2005, 6:40 AM

Post #8 of 18 (126692 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It sounds like you really need a content managment system with lots of extras. Have you looked at mambo? www.mamboserver.com

Hi ideffect

This is is in follow up to my last post on "mambo" CMS (content managemeny system). I finnally got it to download right by using a different zip/unzip program, apparently my zipper was not compatable with the download. My unzip downloaded the whole download into one directory folder (600+files) with the new zip program it unzipped them to 15-16 directories inside the folder, and I uploaded them and finnally got it set up and it is running, I still need to study it (CMS) to figure out what all I can do with it, but it came with a wysiwyg built into it, but it seems limited as to what all I can do with it (not many options) so once I get to understand the applications, I will probably be back to this forum with questions on the htmlarea application, but the CMS seems cool, and you were right and I understand it more now (need for something to go with a wysiwyg).

I am off to study my CMS

So thanks again ideffect for all your help

Trabob

ideffect
Novice

Apr 10, 2005, 11:31 PM

Post #9 of 18 (126590 views)
Shortcut

Hey Trabob,

I'm glad to hear you got it working! I should also mention if you already havn't found out there are a lot of addons for mambo including htmlarea. A few good sites to check out are:

mambers.com - Support forum for Mambo
Mamboserver.com - Mambo home page
Mamboportal.com - Lots of diffrent stuff including templates
Mamboforge.net - List of Mambo addons

trabob
Novice

Apr 11, 2005, 1:02 AM

Post #10 of 18 (126584 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Hey Trabob,

I'm glad to hear you got it working! I should also mention if you already havn't found out there are a lot of addons for mambo including htmlarea. A few good sites to check out are:

mambers.com - Support forum for Mambo
Mamboserver.com - Mambo home page
Mamboportal.com - Lots of diffrent stuff including templates
Mamboforge.net - List of Mambo addons

Hey ideffect
Nice to hear from youSmile the advance editor on this is not working so not sure how post will look (nothing ever works right) Hahaha, anyway, Yea I know, I have been spending most of the last 2 weeks looking around and resolving problems there. It was the answer to my problem so you have a friend for life, if I can ever repay the favor, (been a nitemare 2 months) I had to reinstall the mambo with the latest one so I could install a different editor into it through what is called "mambots" First 2 newer ones did not unzip reason for older one that did. (my unzip not comatable) I decided to go with FCKeditor as it more features I need including typewritter in about 30 languages. My clients will be all around the world in all the different languages. I am haveing a problem with that editor (fitting their screen) but it is installed and just need to resolve some bugs but they have a good forum in mambo for that editor. After I get that all done I still have the problem of getting one of these to edit pages from anywere in the site without them haveing access to whole site (for obvious reasons) I am not sure if I will be able to do that with mambo but face that when I get the rest done, so if I dont get that resolved over there I may be back so dont go away hahahah
Thanks again you were very helpfull
Trabob

M257
New User

Apr 12, 2005, 6:52 AM

Post #11 of 18 (126525 views)
Shortcut

Hi trabob

there`s a site www.opensourcecms.com which lists a lot of CMS and similar things. I chose Geeklog as it has more security groups and rights for these groups than mambo. Actually I`m using both mambo and geeklog for different customers. Both systems are almost identical. The mambo developers were so clever to add htmlarea to their package. I`m stuck with including this into geeklog but I found help: http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=8&showtopic=20514

I`ll also have a look at FCKeditor.

Thanks

trabob
Novice

Apr 12, 2005, 8:12 AM

Post #12 of 18 (126515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [M257] (Cont) Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi trabob

there`s a site www.opensourcecms.com which lists a lot of CMS and similar things. I chose Geeklog as it has more security groups and rights for these groups than mambo. Actually I`m using both mambo and geeklog for different customers. Both systems are almost identical. The mambo developers were so clever to add htmlarea to their package. I`m stuck with including this into geeklog but I found help: http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=8&showtopic=20514

I`ll also have a look at FCKeditor.

Thanks

I worte a long reply to this and I thought it posted but it must have been in the preview mode as it did not post. Unfortunitly I do not have time to redo it, so let me say I appreciate what you wrote but for me, the mambo-fckeditor seems to be the best fit. i am familuar with the opensource but not the geeklog, but the name alone would appeal to me Hahaa. I am to tired to look at anymore now and everything is installed, just need to figure out how to be able to edit each page on my site (couple thousand pages) for the clients without them having access to crash my whole site. Once I figure that out (if it is possible) I can move on to something else hopefully. I appreciate your input and I noted the above links

trabob

(This post was edited by trabob on Apr 12, 2005, 8:14 AM)

trabob
Novice

Apr 19, 2005, 3:25 PM

Post #13 of 18 (126323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [M257] (Cont) Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Well back to square one. Mad After all that work on mambo, I find out I can not edit externat html files within mambo. with htmlarea, fckeditor, or any of 10+ other editors I have looked at., and I can't edit pages with wysiwyg without a cms. I am totally lost as to what everyone else is using wysiwyg for if not to edit html pages, what can they be editting, and if they are editting how can they be editting when I can't find any answer to edit with ?? I must really be missing something that everyone else seems to know, but what ?? So I quess I will look at Geeklog but I dont expect much anymore.

Just driving myself crazy

Trabob

M257
New User

Apr 20, 2005, 4:19 AM

Post #14 of 18 (126305 views)
Shortcut

Hi Trabob, I`m not really a programmer so maybe I don`t get the full point. But let me show you a few things. As far as I know there`s no other "light weight" open source CMS than Geeklog which supports security groups. So especially when security is a matter ( different editors worldwide) then Geeklog might be best for that one reason.
So maybe you try a quick go at geeklog and download the standard theme "professional" with HTMLarea included.

Geeklog: http://www.geeklog.net/filemgmt/viewcat.php?cid=8
Theme: http://www.geeklog.net/filemgmt/singlefile.php?lid=464

I can`t tell you how they included it or if any multilingual editor can be added but there`s a good forum at geeklog.net too. One interesting thing is that geeklog supports static pages and they can be switched to be changed only by 1 specific person. So you can define who is to edit that one page. Now, I haven`t tried this yet but maybe the editing of that one page can be done with an online editor. I`m pretty sure but in the above theme it doesn`t work.

Ah, here it has been discussed: http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=8&showtopic=51340

Usually the included HTMLArea-editor is to edit the articles of the CMS. If you have problems installing Geeklog you may send me details as PM.

trabob
Novice

Apr 20, 2005, 6:49 AM

Post #15 of 18 (126293 views)
Shortcut

Hi M257
Thanks for the input, I'll check out those links. I'm not sure what you mean by PM does that mean pm as in nighttime or something else?

I looked at geeklog briefly yesterday (demo)which helps somewhat as a lot of things I have looked at don't even have a demo, so you have to download and install before you can even see what they look like. (Mambo has one)I didn't see an editor in the demo on geeklog, I could edit the page but didn't see any butttons anywere (toolbar) for adding tables, fonts, etx, they did have some check boxes, and it seems like what I was looking at was set up for a forum, it was a demo and that may be why, and it may be handy for a forum if I ever set one up, I have one on my site but don't use it as to busy on other things at the moment, but I noticed when I set up mambo that the forum I have uses 3 different data bases, and I have a cgi classifieds on another data base, which makes 5 databases, my limit, (have to pay extra for more)and as I have no idea what it will take to accomplish what I want, I will have to delete one of them to try something else. Do you know how many datbases geeklog uses? I dont think I will have any problems installing it, as I have installed so many of these things in the last 2 months, and install was never a problem except mambo. That was because my zip/unzip program was not compatable with the download and opened it into one huge folder instead of a number of folders, and of course no instructions telling me how many folders there should have been. (A whole new subject on that) Last week my host site was doing a melt down and needed to move everything to a new server and redo everything (permissions etx) so I am getting tired of installing things right now, and of course my new server locked up on the databases, so can't do anything with any of them, untill I hear back that they fixed that problem.

One thing that caught my eye, about your post above was about the "one specific person access" that would be of major interest to me, as thousands of people will be working on their pages and I am not sure yet if mambo has that feature as been busy on getting it to do what I need it to do, which is to edit external pages, which of course based on the info I recently recieved in their forum it will not do. (in order to accomplish that I would need to do a bunch of programing for it to accomplish that) they have no immediate plans on doing that. Based on what I read on geeklog yesterday, it seems like the developer of that application designed geeklog for that purpose or something close to it (to work with files instead of databases)(not sure yet)and yet it seems they use database(s) in their application, which is fine if it accomplishes what I need to accomplish. The only application I have found that is both easy to install and I can edit everything on my site was an application something like "siteup" I forgot the whole name as I have looked at so many. It would have been fine if I was the only one doing the editting as everyone I gave password protection to would have access to my whole site (security nightmare) and as I recall it didn't even need a database. (it shows my whole site structure simmular to an admin panel for my site from my web hosting company but better and simpler) I need to do some programing to limit others to access only directories but not files. (it is possible due to a quirk in an application in apache it was not designed to do but it does)If anyone is interested in that one I can get the whole address to their site (something like $30 registration fee or it bugs you every hour to register)but works great for what it is supposed to do. ( I put that on the back burner due to security reasons)

I'll check your links, so thanks
Trabob

M257
New User

Apr 20, 2005, 8:16 AM

Post #16 of 18 (126283 views)
Shortcut

Hello trabob, a PN is a personal message in this forum ;-) e.g. for details on your site which you don`t want to write in public.

Geeklog is almost identical with Mambo, well Mambo got more plug ins etc. but it alwas depends on what you need. The latest demo here indeed contains no HTMLArea. You would have to download that extra theme. or include it into the header.thtml http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=134

Both CMS are similar to a forum or rather portal. But as you see here they may look quite differently: http://www.mamboserver.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=94&Itemid=101

There`s a menu left and mostly on the right too. In the middle you got "articles". Those can also be static pages. Geeklog is a bit more difficult than Mambo to install. Geeklog uses 1 MySQL database only and it even shares a database with other applications as all its fields start with gl_ . In the end it is all sort of internal pages. You log into the site through Geeklog and go edit your statik page. Just tell me if you need more information.

trabob
Novice

Apr 20, 2005, 10:52 AM

Post #17 of 18 (126270 views)
Shortcut

Hi M257

Haha on the PM, that will show you how tired this thing has got me, (brain lock)

Ok, I am still trying to solve my problems with mambo, getting so many forum responses from everywere, I should probably set up my forum and save time Wink. I will check your links and checkout geeklog further after I exhaust all my efforts on mambo as my head can only handle so much as above PM attests to. and whatever solves my problem so I can move on to something more productive, and I am sure geeklog has it's own problems to get to the point of being able to finnish this project up, as long as they offer hope over at mambo I'll keep plugging away as I have so much time invested allready.

I checked your details (figured out about the link at your name) I see you are from Denmark I think .de ?? and most of the people I am meeting to do with cms seem to be from there, so you guys must really be into cms. (nice site)

Thanks

trabob

trabob
Novice

Apr 24, 2005, 1:29 PM

Post #18 of 18 (126183 views)
Shortcut

Finnally a solution after 2 + months
It may not be the best, but at least it works for what I want to accomplish.

I still have to paste the source code from html page into new static content page inside mambo in the editor part of admin in "source mode", and the data is in mambo, and not external but for now as long as it works, and may learn a better way down the road.

To save load times (databases load so slow) I made the link to the page I want to be editable from html files that lead to that page, to the address in mambo database (to bypass all the other pages like frontpage and then links in menu) as thousands of pages would make one big link page in menus, and the link from html page brings up the page to both view for visitors and the person editting the page (direct from html part of site)

I added 2 links on each page inside mambo pages for client editors.
1) I put a login link in the editable page in mambo to link to a popup window that just shows the login screen in seperate window (small) minus the whole frontpage, and after the editors login (shows the frontpage) they can close that window untill I figure out a way for it to close automatically, and they will stay loged in when they close it.
2) I put a link to go direct to wysiwyg editor from the visitor browser page, as in mambo after they login they still need to click the link in title (and because I elimanated the title as they know what page they are on, it made the edit icon vanish). When they save the page mambo wants to go back to front page, and my setup just brings up the user menu and the message there are no pages to view, and they know they are done, when they log out it brings up the front page with no were to go but close the browser and I may add a link there to go back to the html part of the site.

I deleted (unpublished/ hide) all the useless things on frontpage, the back link, the menu, the tittles, the background pictures, the heading picture, and just about everything else that takes time to load and not needed for anything except what they need to edit their page(s) ( I left the user part of the menu in that relates to all editors such as "my details", "checkin items", "contact us" )

I am just so relieved to get it to work with my site for faster load time for most of the site outside mambo and ability for clients to edit (I still have some problems to resolve with mambo applications not working), that I can move on to other issues besides editing, so I am happy and unless I get feedback I will probably be done with this thread, so thanks to all for your input, it meant a lot
Trabob
Ps I posted this once, but it didn't show up so hopping this one posts

Search for (options)